Saturday, October 4, 2014

How to Use Songs to Teach Children

Each child learns differently. This is so important to remember. And what works for one child may not work for another child. I am learning this with my own children right now. But so far, one thing that does help all of my children remember things easily is making up a song. I am a highly musical person and so this works to help me remember things as well. But music may not be what helps your child remember things and that is quite okay! You will find what works best for you and then utilize that! I am homeschooling my kindergartener as well as my three year old. I have a ten month old as well, so we stay quite busy. Songs make everything a bit more fun. We can dance around as we review whatever we are learning. We can sing the songs in the car, at bath time, outside playing, ANYWHERE! We can take the learning with us! So what I like to do is make up a little song about whatever it is we are learning at the moment, and just include the basics of what we are learning. Then the children memorize that song and then we can elaborate on the facts later. If the song is about planets, for example. We can memorize our planet song so the kids know the names of the eight planets. Then throughout the week we can get books from the library about the planets, print out coloring pages about the planets, make planets from play-doh, etc. You get the idea. Take the song, and then learn more about that throughout the week, but then your child will have that basic knowledge from the song stuck in their heads and will be able to recall the information they know more easily. That's how it works for us, and I hope it can work for you too! I'm not a fan of too much technology. I don't really like children learning by playing electronic games or ipads and computers or watching movies. That's basically why my videos that I am making are more for the parents to watch and learn and then teach to the child. That's why I try to keep them simple. I hope you will have fun learning with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment