Friday, October 10, 2014

How to Teach a Child to Read

How do you teach a child to read? This question is big. It has been my very favorite part of homeschooling/parenting so far. There is something SO magical about teaching your child to read. I cannot even begin to describe the pride you will feel when you know that you are the one who taught your kid to read, and not someone else. My son is 5 and is reading so well and any time he sounds out new words and surprises me I just get giddy! I want to start by saying, obviously every child is different. What works for one child may not work for another. That being said, this book guys... this book The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading: This book is amazing. It is so perfect. We started this book last year before I had my baby. My son was four and he sped through it. He was reading in no time! He learned to read so fast. It is such a simple book and it is all scripted so you know what to say. You don't need a fancy program or an expensive program. This is so simple and it WORKS! I cannot say enough good things about the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. We stopped doing the book after I had my baby and I think we were on lesson 40 or so. But even at that point he was reading so well. Now that we are doing Kindergarten, we started the book again. We started a few lessons before 40 to review. Now we are at lesson 80 and I'm so amazed. The book progresses so nicely. I highly recommend everyone at least TRY this book if you are trying to teach your child to read. Maybe there is a copy at the library? I have no idea! It is so inexpensive! Let me know if you've tried it and love it (or hate it?). I will try to post a video tomorrow of my five year old and his (current) reading skills, thanks to the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment